Seminar in International Economics
- July 8th-9th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc, "A Retrospective on the Korean Film Policies", in Session "Networks of Collaboration in East Asian Media Production" and "The effects of protection in cultural industries: The case of the Korean film policies" in Session "Focus on Film: The Impact of Policy Measures on the Film Industry", the 9th International Convection of Asia Scholars (ICAS9), Adelaide, Australia.
- June 23rd, 2015: Patrick Messerlin, panelist on "How do trade and trade policy affect people's lives?" at the European Trade Policy Day. The European Trade Policy Day, launched by EU Commissioner for Trade Cecilia Malmström, has brought together a broad spectrum of high-level speakers. Stakeholders from civil society, the European Parliament, trade unions, business and academia will have the opportunity to put forward their views and ideas on European trade policy.
- June 13th, 2015: .Jimmyn Parc, "The Effects of Protection in Cultural Industries: The Case of the Korean Film Policies" Organized by Korea Economic Research Institute, Seoul, Korea.
- June 13th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc, "A Retrospective on the Korean Film Policies: The Real Effects of Protective Measures" Conference on "Fostering Creative Economy: Experiences of Europe and Asia: What to be learned and what to be done?" Organized by Graduate School of International Studies, Seoul National University and Peace Institute, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea.
- June 8th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc and Patrick Messerlin, "French Trade Unions", A seminar organized by EPS for a Delegation of the Korean Trade Unions, Paris, France.
- April 23rd-24th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc, Panelist, Conference on "Fostering inclusive and sustainable industrialization in the middle-income countries of Europe and Central Asia through innovation and technological learning: Needs, potentials and best practices". Organized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, UNIDO, and UNDP, Minsk, Belarus.
- March 11th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc and Patrick Messerlin, "Séoul: Tourbillons Rugissants", Conference on "Cinéma, Peinture, Dirigisme Culturel et Rayonnement International". Organized by Institut Turgot at the French Assemblée Nationale.
- March 9th, 2015: Jimmyn Parc, "Opening a New Perspective on Enhancing Women's Rights: What is wrong with the Existing Approaches?" Seminar on "Development, Governance and Gender" organized by GLiMPSE consortium (Seoul National University-KDI School-Katholieke Universiteit Leuven-ESSEC Business School), Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium.
- December 18th, 2014: Jimmyn Parc, "Korean Cinema Policies", Workshop organized by the EU Center, University of Adelaide, Australia.
- November 7th, 2014: Jimmyn Parc, "How do corporate responses to industrial policies affect industrial development in the midst of globalization: the case of Korean automobile industry?", 2nd Preconference for the 22nd Congress of the International Committee of Historical Sciences, Zhejiang University, China.
- October 25th, 2014: Jimmyn Parc, "French and Korean Cinema Policies: L'herbe du voisin est toujours plus verte", Fall Academic Meeting, Association Coréenne d'Etudes Françaises, Seoul, Korea.
- September 25th, 2014: Jimmyn Parc, "The Korean Film Policies: Return of the Jedi", ECIPE Seminar on "The Diverging Path of French and Korean Film Industries: Lessons on Audiovisual Policy", European Center for International Political Economy (ECIPE), Brussels, Belgium.
- July 15th, 2014: Jimmyn Parc, "How has Korean Film Industry kept its Ground? Prevailing Perception vs. the Reality", 26th Colloquium, Hanyang Peace Institute, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
- June 17, 2014: Patrick Messerlin on "Prospects for EU-China Trade, The EU-China FTA and China's free trade zones", British Cabinet Office, London, UK.
- June 13, 2014: Patrick Messerlin on "Europe and the Asia Pacific", Carnegie Europe, Brussels, Belgium.
- May 21, 2014: Patrick Messerlin on "The TTIP and developing countries", The World Bank, Washington DC, USA.
- May 8, 2014: Patrick Messerlin on "The WTO Deal in Bali and Shift Towards Mega-Regionals - Missed Opportunities?" at the "The State of the Union 2014" Conference, European University Institute, Florence, Italy.
- April 28, 2014: Patrick Messerlin on "Multilatéralisme, plurilatéralisme et bilatéralisme : quels scénarii pour le futur de la libéralisation commerciale ?", a symposium organized by the European Centre for Law and Economics on "International trade issues for France and Europe", ESSEC, Paris, France.
- July 18, 2013: Patrick Messerlin on "Lessons from the EU Internal Market" at the "The Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP): Towards regulatory convergence?", a workshop organized by Bruegel, Brussels, Belgium.
- June 17, 2013: Patrick Messerlin at Heart to Heart, a Arirang TV talk show. Founded in 1996, Arirang TV is a South Korean TV network which airs programs 24 hours a day, in more than 188 countries. It broadcasts in English, Chinese, Indonesian, Russian, Arabic, Vietnamese and Spanish. Some of its most popular and longest-running shows include Arirang News, Showbiz Korea, Pops in Seoul and Heart to Heart.
- May 23, 2013: Patrick Messerlin on "Trade Policy and International Relations: Two Case Studies" at the KIEP-ECIPE-SNU GSIS Conference on Free Trade Agreements: Revisiting the Reality of FTA Competition. Seoul, South Korea. Programme.
- April 22, 2013: Finance Committee of the German Bundestag: Statement by Adrian Blundell-Wignall and Paul Atkinson.
- January 16, 2013: Patrick Messerlin on "'Furia Koreana' in Europe: From Kpop to KclassicS" at the "Global Culture Exchange Forum" organized by the Korea Foundation for International Cultural Exchange (KOFICE), Seoul, South Korea.
- December 3, 2012 at 4.00 pm: Les accords commerciaux dans les Amériques : une nouvelle "ligne de Tordesillas", Joint Seminar MEDEF-GEM. MEDEF, 55, avenue Bosquet 75007 PARIS, métro Ecole militaire. Programme. Registration.
- October 15, 2012, 2.00 pm: "Can Trade Agreements Reform Societies?". A GEM-ECIPE rountable with Dr Taeho Bark, Minister for Trade, Korea, Philippe Legrain, Principal Advisor of Bureau of European Policy Advisers of President Barroso, Hosuk Lee-Makiyama, Director, ECIPE (moderator), Prof. Patrick Messerlin, Sciences Po, Paris & ECIPE, Prof. Alan Winters, former Chief Economist, Dept of International Development (DFID) of UK government & Univ. of Sussex. Interview of Dr Bark (Les Echos).
- October 9, 2012, 4.30 pm: "A la recherche de la croissance : Quel rôle pour le partenariat UE-Japon ?", a conference co-organized by JETRO - GEM. Salle de conférence du CERI, 56 rue Jacob, 75006 Paris. Programme.
- July 11, 2012 (8:30-10:00am): "Accords commerciaux préférentiels: perspectives japonaises et européennes" by professor Shujiro URATA, Waseda university, Tokyo, Japon. A conference in English, organised by the Japan Embassy and CEPII.
Venue: CENTRE D'ANALYSE STRATÉGIQUE, Salle Pierre Guillaumat, 18, rue de Martignac - 75007 Paris. Programme. Registration.
- June 4, 2012, 3.00pm: "Trans Pacific Partnership: Impacts sur la politique commerciale multilatérale et européenne". Joint Seminar MEDEF - GEM. 55, avenue Bosquet 75007 PARIS, métro Ecole militaire. Programme. Registration.
- April 11, 2012, 5.00 pm: M. Anders Ahnlid, Swedish Ambassador and permanent representative at the Delegation of Sweden to the OECD and to UNESCO, will talk about the organisation of and careers in these international institutions. Sciences Po, Salle du Conseil, 13 rue de l'université, Paris 7e.
- March 2, 2012 : "Une mesure de la diversité des marchés du film en salles et en vidéogrammes en France et en Europe", by Florence Levy-Hartmann at the conference on "Mesurer la diversité culturelle : livre, musique enregistrée et cinéma", Ministère de la Culture, Paris, France. Programme.
- February 14, 2012: "A New Era for Transatlantic Trade Leadership", A German Marshall Fund of the United States and ECIPE conference. Sciences Po, Salle du Conseil, rue de l'Université 75007 Paris. Invitation.
- December 3 & 4, 2011: "21st Century Trade Policy: Back to the Past?" Festschrift Conference in honor of Patrick Messerlin, Yale Center for the Study of Globalization Betts House, New Haven, CT. Programme.
- May 30, 2011: Presentation
of the study: "An Appraisal of
the EU's TRade Policy towards its Eastern Neighbours:
The Case of Georgia", with Gia
Jianderi and Patrick Messerlin. Event co-organised
by PASOS, CEPS-GEM-NSE. 11:30-14:00, Angleterre
Hotel, Berlin, Germany.
- May 25, 2011:
"The French G20 Presidency: A GSIS/KDI-Sciences
Po-ITAM Conference". Click here
- March 30th, 2011,
from 5.00 pm to 6.45 pm: « The Euro
crisis: an economic perspective from the United
States », by Bruce Stokes, Senior Transatlantic
Fellow for economics at the German Marshall
Fund and former member of President Clinton's
Commission on United States-Pacific Trade and
Investment Policy. Salle L224, 224, Boulevard
Saint-Germain, 75007 Paris. Invitation.
- February 16 & 17, 2011:
Debate on "l’Analyse de la politique
de l’UE envers ses voisins de l’Est: Le cas
de la Géorgie" with Patrick
Messerlin (GEM), Michael Emerson
(CEPS), and Gia Jandieri (New Economic
School). February 16: Salle Lavau, CEVIPOF,
98 rue de l'Université, Paris 7e. Invitation.
February 17 13.15 to 14.30: The Centre for European
Policy Studies (CEPS), 1 Place du Congres, 1000
- November 23, 2010: "The
economic rise of Asia and the future of EU-Taiwan
relations", a European Center
for International Political Economy (Brussels)
and GEM conference. Presentations by S.E.M.
Michel Ching-Long Lu, Representative, Bureau
Représentation de Taipei en France, M. Philippe
Gassmann, Chef de bureau Asie et Océanie,
Direction du Trésor, Prof. Fukunari Kimura,
of Keio University, M. Jean-Francois Di
Meglio, Asia Centre and Razeen Sally,
The conference will take place at the CEVIPOF,
Room Georges LAVAU, CEVIPOF, 98 rue de l’Université,
Paris 7e. Programme to come. Programme.
- November 22, 2010: "Japan
and Europe after the Crisis: Where are they
going?", a Faculty of Economics,
Keio University, Tokyo and GEM conference. Presentations
by Prof. Naoyuki Yoshino, Prof. Sahoko Kaji,
and Prof. Fukunari Kimura, of Keio University,
Mr. Paul Atkinson, GEM-Sciences Po,
and Dr. Sebastien Miroudot, OECD and
The conference took place at the German Marshall
Fund of the United States, Residence Palace,
Rue de la Loi 155 Wetstraat,
1040 Brussels, from 14.00 to 16:00. Programme.
19, 2010, 12.30 to 14.00: "Governance
after the Great Crisis, Japan's experience
and the EU", by Professor Sahoko
Kaji, of the Faculty of Economics, Keio
University, Tokyo. A GEM conference. Room
B404, 56 rue des Saints Pères, Paris 7e. Invitation.
10, 2010: "Redonner
du sens à la PAC", French
Senate Report, Hearing of Pierre Boulanger.
- October 20, 2010: "Korea
and Europe: At the Crossroads",
GSIS-GEM conference. Presentations by Professors
AHN, based on his policy
BARK and Yeongsup RHEE, Graduate School
for International Studies, Seoul National University,
and of Mr David
Kleimann, European University Institute.
The conference was held at the German Marshall
Fund of the United States, Residence Palace,
Rue de la Loi 155 Wetstraat, 1040 Brussels,
from 12.30 to 14:45. Programme.
- October 19, 2010:
« The Seoul G20 and Beyond »,
GEM - Asia Centre meeting with Prof. Taeho Bark
and Prof. Yeongsup Rhee (GSIS-Seoul National
University), from 5.30pm to 7.00 pm, Room Georges
LAVAU, Cevipof, 98 rue de l’Université, Paris
from Prof. Taeho Bark and Prof. Yeongseop Rhee
from Prof. Woosik Moon
brief from Prof. Dukgeun Ahn.
19-23, 2010: "Sub-Saharan
African Cotton Policies in Retrospect",
by Claire Delpeuch, at "The 3rd
Conference of African Association of Agricultural
Economists - Africa and the Global Food and
Financial Crises", Cape Town,
9, 2010: "An
Economic Assessment of Removing most Market
Distorting Tools of the Common Agricultural
Policy (CAP)" by Pierre
Boulanger, at the ETSG 2010 conference, Lausanne,
September 2, 2010:
the Elimination of the most Distortive Instruments
of the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP)
" by Pierre Boulanger, at the 3rd meeting
on Computable General Equilibrium (CGE) Modeling
Network for Latin America and the Caribbean,
organized by the IDB and ECLAC, Buenos Aires,
- June 23, 2010, 8.30
am: "China’s Policy Responses to
the Great Economic Crisis" by
Professor YU Yongding. Cevipof building, 98
rue de l'université. Invitation.
- May 25th, 2010, 8.30
am: Conversation with Mr Carlos Gutierrez, chairman,
Global Political Strategies, former U.S. Secretary
of Commerce, former chairman and CEO of the
Kellogg Company: "Is international
trade a lever for global economic recovery?".
- May 5th, 2010, 5.00 pm : "Russia
and energy security: The role of domestic competition
for external energy policy", by
Fredrik Erixon, Salle du Conseil
- Sciences Po, 13 rue de l'université, 75007
- March 18th, 2010, 5.00
pm : "The Optimal Basel Capital
Requirement to Cope with Pro-cyclicality: Theory
and Impact on Japanese Banks",
by Professor Naoyuki YOSHINO,
Room H202a- Sciences Po, 28 rue des Saints Pères,
2nd Floor. Invitation.
- June 16, 2009: Patrick Messerlin
at the GMF Trade Expert Briefing for
Commissioner Catherine Ashton on the
world trade system's future challenges.
- March 18, 2009: Conference
by Prof. Naoyuki YOSHINO : “How to Revitalize
the Japanese and Asian Economies ?”.
- January 29 & 30, 2009:
Conference: The 2020 European agriculture:
Long term challenges, new public and private
- January 16, 2009: Conference
: Crise financière et récession économique
: une nouvelle donne réglementaire ? in
partnership with APCO and The Wall Street Journal
- September 2, 2008: Alexandre
Le Vernoy: "The virtual water hypothesis
in the Euro-Med Region", XIII
World Water Congress, Montpellier.
- August 26-29, 2008: Pierre
Boulanger : "Modulation of Direct
Payments: A crossed analysis of incremental
schemes", Congress of the European
Association of Agricultural Economists – EAAE
- July 2, 2008: Emilie Pons:
"Vers une réglementation du commerce
international des agrocarburants : la proposition
européenne de certification durable",
with Laurent Jannin (MEEDDAT) and Matthieu Wemaëre
(IDDRI), Seminar organised by IDDRI, Sciences
- June, 24-25, 2008: Claire
Delpeuch: "Are the EPA tariff structures
development-friendly?", An Oxford
Brainstorming on the EPAs Debate, European Studies
- June 25, 2008: Emilie Pons:
"La protection des paysans du sud
engagés dans la production des agrocarburants
: une perspective internationale",
Groupe Initiative (GI) Seminar on « Agrocarburants
: opportunités et menaces pour les populations
du sud », Nogent-sur-Marne.
- June 12 & 13: Sciences
Po, TEPSA, EU Consent, Centre d'Etudes Européennes,
GEM: "La France en Europe: Un acteur
pas comme les autres?". Ian Gibbs'
Jacques Pelkmans' presentation.
- May 23, 2008: Pierre Boulanger
: "Vers un ciblage effectif du
soutien interne de la politique agricole commune",
Colloque AFSP "Les Monde agricoles en politique",
CIHEAM – CEVIPOF – INRA, Paris.
- April 4, 2008: Jens Beckert:
"The Social Order of Markets".
- April 1, 2008: Arvind Panagariya:
"India’s Growth Miracle: What Can
We Learn from It ?". Invitation.
- March 31, 2008: Makio Miyagawa:
"Le Japon, pôle de croissance de
l'économie mondiale au 21ème siècle".
- March 19, 2008: Sayuri Shirai:
"Japan and China Growing Economic
Integration : Challenges for the EU".
- March 13, 2008: Carsten Fink:
"East Asian regionalism and globalization",
Room K 711, 117 Bd St Germain.
- November 30, 2007: Jacques
Desponts, President of the WTO Committee, MEDEF,
Ingrid Jegou and Henrik Isakson, National Board
of Trade, Stockholm, Jean-Marie Salva, Associated
Lawyer, Cabinet DS Avocats, on : « Les
instruments de défense commerciale: Où en est
l’Europe ? ». Conference organised
by GEM and APCO Worldwide.
- October 18, 2007:
Reuters, NewsEdge: "WTO
deal could touch half of world industry imports",
by Laura MacInnis.
21st 2007: "U.S.
Perspectives on Biofuels",
with Mr. Howard Shapouri, Senior Economist,
U.S. Department of Agriculture. Conference organized
by GEM, les Services de la Communication et
des Affaires Culturelles et le Bureau des Affaires
Agricoles de l’Ambassade des Etats-Unis.
Amphithéâtre Chapsal, Sciences Po, 27 rue Saint
Guillaume, Paris 7.
- May 18, 2007: Valor
Economico, on the ICONE-GEM "US
and EU policies in biofuels: Potential impacts
on developing countries". Read
- May 14th, 2007: Opinions expressed
by Marcos Jank and Ronald Steenblick at a conference
on biofuels organized by GEM on March 22nd,
2007 quoted in Le Monde’s article “La
bataille des biocarburants”.
- May 7th, 2007 : Patrick Messerlin
presented his ongoing work on the WTO at a German
Marshall Fund Seminar, in Washington DC. Read
Media coverage : Congress
Daily, Washington, Fri. May 08, 2007.
- May 5th, 2007: Géraldine Kutas
interviewed by the Brazilian newspaper O
Estado de São Paulo on the European agricultural
policy and biofuels trade perspectives on the
occasion of the French presidential elections.
- April 25th, 2007. Patrick
Messerlin presented his paper “Assessing
the EC Trade Policy in Goods” at ECIPE,
Media coverage :
Times Wed. May 02, 2007
Street Journal, Fri. Apr 27, 2007.
- April 17th, 2007: BBC
News : Pierre Boulanger participated to
a four-part BBC series « France versus the World
(Part III): Agriculture and Rural France ».
- April 16th, 2007: France
Culture: Claire Delpeuch on "OMC, les négociations
de la dernière chance", with Eric Vergnaud
and Jean-Marc Siroën.
- March 22nd, 2007: "Le
Boom des Biocarburants: Qu'avons-nous à apprendre
des expériences brésiliennes et américaines?",
a conference organised in Paris by GEM, with
Marcos S. JANK, president of ICONE, Brazil,
Ronald STEENBLIK, Research Director at Global
Subsidies Initiative, Géraldine KUTAS, researcher
at GEM. Presentations.
- March 17th, 2007: John Peet
listed Patrick Messerlin among the people he
interviewed for his special report on the European
at 50?”, The Economist, March 17,
2007: "Politique Energétique
: L’Union européenne a-t-elle les moyens de
ses ambitions: Sécurité d’approvisionnement,
Développement Durable et Compétitivité ?",
a conference organized by APCO Worldwide and
GEM, with Matthias RUETE, Director-General
of the DG "Energy and Transport"
at the European Commission. Invitation.
7, 2006: "EU
Trade Policy: at the Crossroad",
ECIPE launch conference, presented by Patrick
7, 2006: Conference on "The Importance
of the Not-for-Profit Sector in the International
Community". Paul Atkinson's
aftermath five years on - First appraisals of
the effects of mass terrorism on the world economy"
September 5, 2006.
Invitation: en français
by Anne-Sophie Novel
Mrs Bailes' speech
Mr Lahille's speech
Mr Verdier's speech
Role of the Not-for-profit Sector”.
Presentation by Paul Atkinson on 27 March
2006, to the Committee on “Social Cohesion,
Social Affairs and Public Health” of the Assembly
of European Regions in Vrsac, Serbia. Powerpoint,
15th, 2006: “Do Standards Matter to
Export Success?” by John S. Wilson,
Lead Economist, Development Research Group,
The World Bank. Invitation.
- 30 novembre 2005: Seminar
organised by the Worldbank and GEM on "Agricultural
Trade Reform and the Doha Development Agenda",
by Will Martin. Book available here.
- 25 November 2005: Conference
organised by APCO and GEM on "Une
Autorité Européenne de Régulation des Marchés
Financiers est-elle nécessaire ?",
by Fabrice Demarigny (CESR) and Georges Ugeux
(CEO of Galileo Global Advisors and former
Vice-Président of New York Stock Exchange
in Paris). Invitation.
2005: "Innovation in Europe -
Using the Creative Potential of the Regions:
The role of ideas, diversity and social capital
at the Assembly of European Regions General
Assembly in Strasbourg. Presentation
by Paul Atkinson.
21 November 2005 by Larry Crump (Griffith
University)- "Trade Negotiations
in the Asia-Pacific Region
2005: Seminar organised by the Worldbank and
GEM on "International Migration,
Remittances and the Brain Drain
by Maurice Schiff. Book available here
- 5 May 2005: "Priorities
for Education, Training and Intellectual Assets
in the Knowledge Economy" by
Paul Atkinson, (GEM), Forum Istanbul, Istanbul.
- 11 March 2005: "Putting
Development Back into the Doha Agenda: Poverty
Impacts of a WTO Agreement"
by Thomas W. Hertel (Purdue University and
the World Bank), Joaquim Bento de Souza Ferreira
Filho (Universidad de São Paolo), Guido Porto
(World Bank), Anne-Sophie Robilliard (IRD
and DIAL) and Nabil Annabi (Université Laval).
2004: « Intégration régionale et déterminants
des flux commerciaux : Le cas du MERCOSUR
» by Aránzazu Narbona (GEM). Invitation
2004: “Trade Policy: What’s Welfare
Got To Do With It?
” by Per G. Fredriksson
(Southern Methodist University). Invitation
2004: “Cotton Subsidies: What Impact
do They Really Have and What is Genuinely
at Stake for Africa?
” by Sébastien
Miroudot and Ben Shepherd (GEM). Invitation
and abstract. Powerpoint
12 February 2004: « L’économie politique
des systèmes de permis d’émission négociables
: Lobbying pour l’allocation initiale des
» by Julien Hanoteau (GEM).